This is a usability study. The purpose of this study is to determine where users unfamiliar with GNU/Linux stumble and experience discomfort or frustration (or delight) when using common applications such as email for the first time. Some distributions today have firewalls with GUI front ends that are not difficult to set up. We are interested in knowing how newbies handle setting them up with just the directions provided.
To contribute to this study, you can follow these steps, recording the experiences (both positive and negative) of the user. You are not constrained by the list, but it tells you what we are most interested in knowing:
- Recruit a participant (some one who has never used a GNU/Linux email program before)
- Create a user account for the participant on your GNU/Linux box
- Ask the participant to try to find the firewall and set it up. Tell them the name or names of the firewalls in that distro.
Please report the following information:
- Participant's level of computer experience (novice, casual user, expert)
- Firewall program and version that was used for this test
- Hardware used for the study
Please tell us what you found out about firewall applications and how your subject used them. Let's narrow it down a bit. First, please tell us what distribution you were using: